Publication Date – July 15, 2019
- The maximum duration of the validity of publicly trusted TLS/SSL certificates is 825 days. This applies to certificates valid starting March 1, 2018 or later. Learn more…
- Mozilla Firefox community members found that in 2017, “Symantec had entrusted several organizations with the ability to issue certificates without the appropriate or necessary oversight, and had been aware of security deficiencies at these organizations for some time.” These certificates were not issued in compliance with industry requirements.
- In late Q1/early Q2 2018, both Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome will not support Symantec-issued TLS/SSL certificates assigned before June 1, 2016. Users on mobile and desktop devices will not be able to securely connect with those browsers to any websites or services that use these distrusted certificates.
- Certificates that need to be replaced are graded based on their supported status.
- See the Chrome release schedule concerning Symantec certificates.