- May 3, 2023: Insurance & National Cybersecurity applications.
- November 15, 2021: Added navigational instructions for the Continuous Monitoring application.
- December 12, 2018: Published.
Use this guide for general fixes, recommended troubleshooting steps, and best practices when using Bitsight Academy:
- Ensure your browser is supported and you are using the most up-to-date version:
- Your progress is tracked through the activity tracking window. Please leave the activity tracking window open and ensure it is actively launched in only one instance. Using multiple browsers, using multiple devices, or having multiple browser windows/tabs opened may result in a discrepancy in the tracked activity.
- Ensure other applications or programs are not running in the background, e.g., YouTube.
- Browser cookies are used to authorize your access to the course. Ensure your browser’s cookies are enabled.
- A course will time out after 5 minutes of no activity. If you pause for a long period of time, please close the course and relaunch it before completing it.
- Ensure your browser plugins are up-to-date:
If a course is not displaying properly, you get disconnected, or the site is not loading (poor website performance), it may be due to the following:
- Academy courses load in a separate window. Pop-up blockers may be preventing the course window from opening.
- If your internet connection breaks, close the course window, establish a strong connection, and then re-launch the course before completing it.
- If you're connected via a Virtual Private Network (VPN), try using another network. If the issue is resolved, you may need to update your VPN configurations.
- Forbidden/error messages, such as an “Error 403” message, appear when a user’s IP address is inconsistent throughout the course or the security protocol has been compromised while accessing the course. Some causes are:
- More than one course is open at the same time. Close one or both courses, and then try to restart and complete them one at a time.
- A user’s IP address may not be staying consistent while they take the course; switching computers or location may help to keep this from continuing.
- Browser cookies need to be enabled to verify the authorization to access courses. If your browser’s cookies are disabled, they should be turned on in order for you to access courses.
- If the website is performing poorly and your browser is supported and up-to-date, you may need to clear your browser's cache (temporary internet files). Refer to the instructions for clearing your cache for your specific browser or use the following general instructions:
- Go to your browser's Settings ➔ Options.
- Locate the tab or page where the browsing history can be cleared. Some browsers will specifically ask if you want to clear your cache and others will automatically clear it when you clear your browsing history.
Still no luck? Please reach out to the Bitsight Support team for assistance.